Tuesday, August 19, 2008

All I Can Do

This pain, this agony
not caused by fists
not caused by words
but of inaction

never thought such pain
such loneliness, such helplessness
can be caused by not being hit
can be caused by not being kicked
but by avoiding this brutality

never thought that I could
out of all my heart
abandon someone as I did
throw away the friendship I had
forsaking my will

never thought that, out of it all
that I could allow him to be alone
that I could watch him be alone
while I stood still, afraid
afraid of circumstances and consequences

never thought that, even if
I was defending the ones I loved
I would forsake the one who was close
in order to assure my family
I abandoned a friend in need

I should have went out
I should have helped
I could have helped
I could have done more
Yet, I stood still...

Now, all I can do is regret
live with what guts I have left
live with what dignity I have left
live with the sins I have
live with a lost friend
in hopes of him finding the right path

No comments: